Whether you work in Australia’s mining industry or not, we are all effected by the stability and growth of the sector.
Here are some things you may not have known about the current mining industry.
1. Just 0.02% of Australia’s land surface is directly impacted by mining.
2. The Victorian gold rush was the start of the economic growth of the country, back in 1851.
3. 41% of the revenue in the mining market is generated from gold mining.
4. Australia is second in the world for supplying Iron, Aluminium, Gold, Zinc, and Rare earth elements, after China.
5. Australia is the world’s largest exporter of coal.
6. Coal is mined in every state of Australia except South Australia.
7. 54% of the coal mined in Australia is exported, mostly to eastern Asia.
8. Australia is the world’s largest producer of opal, being responsible for 95% of production.
9. Australia estimated to have stranded gas reserves with about 140 trillion cubic feet or enough to fulfil the needs of a city with one million people for 2,800 years.
10. Australia’s mining services, equipment, and technology exports are over $2 billion annually.
11. Australia is a participant in international anti-proliferation efforts designed to ensure that no exported uranium is used in nuclear weapons.
12. Mining employs approximately 251,700 people, which accounts for 2.0 per cent of the total workforce.
13. Drillers, Miners and shot firers make up around a fifth of the entire workforce.